This was a new suburb that was created in the Shire of Mundaring in 1997 and lies to the south of Gorrie. The name is derived from the property that was developed by the Gorrie family who developed the property 'Malmalling' which was located on Avon Location 3444. The land was purchased by John Morton Craig, a livestock inspector, in 1900. He built a mud-brick house and planted an orchard before selling the property in 1906. A year later Edward Whatty purchased the property and his two nephews, Alexander and Henry Gorrie both worked the property before becoming joint owners in 1913. Alexander bought out his brother two years later. Alexander's son (another Alexander) took his bride Mona to the property to live in 1919 and they raised four children. A new stone house was constructed, the mud-brick house was improved and a combined shearing and hayshed constructed. When times were tight during the Depression years, Bert and Mona operated farm stay holidays which proved to be so popular that bookings had to be made a year in advance.
Malmalling was resumed by the Government in the 1960s as it became included in the Mundaring Weir's water catchment area. Today the stone cottage lies in ruins and there are no remains of the other buildings.
Photo below: Stone house (right) and mud brick house, belonging to the Gorrie family in the Malmalling area. No Mosaic ref.
Background photograph: Malmalling Homestead in the mid 1920’s. No Mosaic ref.