Boya's history is bound up with that of neighbouring Darlington. In July 1901 dozens of iron and hessian huts sprung up near a site to the south-west of Darlington village chosen for a quarry. The 150 workmen housed at this settlement were employed in supplying huge granite blocks for building Fremantle Harbour. A siding built to the quarry was given the Aboriginal name 'Boya' for rock. A second quarry nearby to supply ballast for railway construction meant the shanty town grew into a residential area.
A State Registered Place in Boya is the Government Quarries (fmr).
Mosaic ref: 2004.277
Photo below: Boya Quarry, now known as Mountain Quarry, and siding with a passenger train.
Background Photo: Government Quarries, Boya 1902. Mosaic ref: 2004.88
Scroll down to see the complete background photograph