Built on bricks . .
The area takes its name from Edward Robinson's farm, which in its day was considered to be a model farm. Robinson built his homestead in 1887, calling it Belle View. The bricks for the house were made on site from the local clay deposits. This natural resource led to commercial brickmaking in the area in the mid 1890s with the largest concentration of brickyards in WA being at one stage clustered near the Bellevue railway station. As a result Bellevue grew phenomenally.
. . a brickbat
Bellevue had an overhead bridge erected in a hurry, given that notices around the railway platform threatened prosecution for trespassing on the line, despite the fact it was impossible to reach the island platform without crossing the line.
. . and bacon
A smallgoods factory able to handle more than 600 pigs a week, railway workshops and an abattoir in nearby Midland, all now gone, boosted the sale of blocks in the area. The racecourse has gone too. A large portion of Bellevue that was originally in the Shire of Mundaring now falls within the neighbouring City of Swan.
A State Registered Place in Bellevue is the Belle View Farm.
Mosaic ref: 2006.50
Photo below: Joseph Hesketh's brickworks in Bellevue c.1915. Workers standing in front of the works' building.