Hovea

Back

 

A crossing loop constructed in 1912, and originally named Park View, was renamed Hovea as the original name was considered to sound too similar to Swan View and Bellevue. The holly-leaved Hovea, with its clusters of pea-like purple flowers, is common in the Darling Range. Until 1936, Hovea was the nearest stop on the Eastern Railway for picnickers wanting to access the Greenmount National Park, as Western Australia’s first national park was then known.  Gardens and paths built by Depression sustenance workers made the park a popular place to visit.

 

State Registered Places in Hovea, Eastern Railway:

 Three Bridges

Eastern Railway Deviation (Mahogany Creek Deviation) including Swan View Tunnel.

 

Mosaic ref: Not in Mosaic.

Photo below: Hovea Station Platform, date unknown.

Background Photo: Falls Road, Hovea, 1915/1916. A dirt, wheel-rutted track leading to the bridge over Jane Brook

 

Back

Scroll down to see the complete background photograph

 

Back