Boya

Back

 

Boya’s history is bound up with that of neighbouring Darlington. In July 1901 dozens of iron and hessian huts sprung up near a site to the south-west of Darlington village chosen for a quarry. The 150 workmen housed at this settlement were employed in supplying huge granite blocks for building Fremantle Harbour. A siding built to the quarry was given the Aboriginal name ‘Boya’ for rock. A second quarry nearby to supply ballast for railway construction meant the shanty town grew into a residential area.

 

A State Registered Place in Boya is the  Government Quarries (fmr).

 

Mosaic ref: 2004.277

Photo below: Boya Quarry (now known as Mountain Quarry) and siding with a passenger train.

 

Background Photo: Railway maintenance trolley or tricycle, 1920-1930. Mosaic ref: 2005.031

 

Back

Scroll down to see the complete background photograph

 

Back